Types of hosting solutions
A hosting solution means depositing and/or sharing specific web content on a hosting server hosted by a web hosting provider. There are various varieties of hosting services utilized for different ends, so let's take a glance at them. In that way, you can conclude what you need, depending on whether you'd like to run a weblog, e-mail address accounts, or to share files with friends and acquaintances.
- File hosting: a solution delivered by various web hosts, which enables you to share big files. These could be disk images, films, audio files, archived files, and so on. This solution is also known as file storage, and its sole aim is to share files, since it does not offer web site uploading. As soon as the files are uploaded, you will either obtain a randomly generated download link for each of them, or you will be able to read a register of all the files in a directory, but you will be unable to open .html or .php web page files in your browser. Free-of-charge file hosting packages often involve ads next to the download links, while a timer compels you to await a specific span of time to observe them. A given file can be downloaded with limited speed. If you buy a paid file storage package, there are no limits as to how many files you can upload/download immediately, and also there is no restriction in regard to the download speed or the file size.
At present, with the assistance of the cPanel hosting vendors, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more voguish "cloud hosting". This is a totally false interpretation of the actual denotation of "cloud hosting". A real cloud website hosting platform would share the tasks at hand between autonomous sets of servers in a cluster, which are dedicated to attending different web hosting services (electronic mail, storage space, statistics, DNS, databases, hosting Control Panel, and so on.) So, the file hosting solution is only a brand of a data storage hosting service, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even near.
- Image hosting: comparable with file hosting; specific corporations provide a hosting service for images exclusively. This hosting brand is good if you want to share an enormous amount of images with comrades or associates since the solution is commonly free of cost. You will get a randomly generated link for each and every image or album and you can then share this link. As with the file hosting solution, .html and .php files are not supported, so the solution cannot be used for web pages.
- Email hosting: a solution committed to managing your email mailbox accounts. Some providers provide site hosting services for web pages, but do not supply an email hosting service. If you desire to set up a mail address with your domain name but do not desire to own a web site, then the e-mail hosting solution is what you want. You can set up email accounts and administer them, but there will be no web solution for the domains. The e-mail hosting service involves incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP servers.
- Video hosting: this service allows you to upload and share video clips. You can either share a link to some video file, or you can embed the video file in your website that is hosted elsewhere. The advantage of utilizing this method instead of uploading the video file in a web hosting account is that the video file brings about a certain amount of CPU load, so with a few video clips and several hundred website visitors, you may have trouble with your webspace hosting supplies. Embedding the video will enable you to keep as many video files as you want to without bothering about system reserves.
- Web page hosting: this is the solution that you require if you want to possess a web site. To some extent, it contains all of the aforesaid hosting groups since, along with your web pages, you can also host images and files, you can run databases and email address accounts, upload video clips, etc. At Speedi Hosts, for example, you can take a glance at web hosting and dedicated server hosting accounts that enable you to get all of the abovementioned solutions in one location. There may be limitations depending on the kind of hosting service that you've settled on - a free hosting plan, a paid shared hosting plan, a VPS or a dedicated server. Based on that, your web page hosting account may be better or worse compared with the regular e-mail/file/video/image hosting packages that are conceived for particular content only.